
"Ooh now my body is starting to quiver
An' the palms of my hands gettin' wet oh"
-Fool In The Rain-
Plant is swaying away with that mic stand while Page strums his 'born for strings' fingers on his Gibson, Jones stands mesmerized by his own groove tapping and Bonham swings the sticks before crashing them on the sets.
Rockin' with Led Zeppelin was very early as I was growing up thanks to my father who was also not spared of Led Zep's reign. Even though my old man wasn't an ardent fan of Led Zep, but he literally made sure to have some of their records the shelves. Everybody was about Led Zeppelin...
When I was away in college and only came back home during weekends, my father took the opportunity to have the posters in my room removed, the first that got ripped off was a human sized, scantily dressed Janis Joplin and the monstrous 'Eddy' of Iron Maiden. He let me keep Led Zeppelin but not the ones with the forsaken angel. My mother had my rip 501 thrown away., and my aunt who lives with us would always encourage me to listen to classical music instead.

My urge to collect every Led Zep releases resorted me to secretively skip tuition classes so that I could save up the fees to buy them. (I hope my parents doesn't see this) Seemingly impossible, I did however manage to get through the papers and I thanked not the teachers but Led Zeppelin! The moment I heard "Whole Lot Of Love" when I was lazy to get up for exams, I sprang up from the bed fully energized and motivated. I even skipped piano lessons my aunt initiated and took up guitar. I used to hold up the guitar facing the mirror for hours trying to achieve Page's flick.
I had equal headed friends during my teen years especially Richard. We would jam in our garage studio where almost often had the neighbors calling the cops. Both of us would neat our long kept hair beneath the collar to school which was definitely not permitted. Disciplinary action was taken when I had the school's anthem CD in the AV room changed to Led Zeppelin IV and for reciting "Black Dog" to a lady teacher. The faith educator on the other hand insisted I go for confession and counseling for scribbling the lyrics of "Stairway To Heaven" on the church's community hall.
Likewise the feud between the mods and the rockers in the UK at that time, we often led a warfare on posers and rappers alike.
I recorded 'Stairway To Heaven' back to back on both sides of the cassette so that I needn't rewind it frequently. That track had something, sort of a vibe that will make your mind and probably your soul to wander far away, to a strange land...
I must tell you that I'm proudly wearing my Led Zep t-shirt as I'm writing this.
They were without doubt, one of the biggest band of all time!
LED ZEPPELIN RULES
No comments:
Post a Comment